Polymer Injection Technology Overview
- Molycop is the licensee and global commercial partner with UNSW for Polymer Injection Technology.
- It involves partially substituting injectant coke used in EAF steelmaking with polymer materials such as HDPE and rubber crumb, producing “Green Steel”.
- Savings result from:
- Reduction in electricity and electrode consumption,
- Improvement in yield,
- Increased productivity from reduced power-on-time,
- Reduction in overall coke injectant use,
- The substitution of rubber crumb for inject coke.
- In addition to cost reductions listed above, the technology also provides EAF steelmakers with the potential to reduce their carbon emissions through lower electrical energy consumption.