At the heart of the technology are several small high temperature furnaces designed to transform e-waste streams at temperatures greater than 1000 degrees into usable materials for manufacturing, base metals production or gas for energy.

While a lot of work is being done around recycling and collection, a lot of the resources within these waste streams can not be fully recovered or utilised.

  • The world generated 44.7 million metric tonnes of e-waste, with only 20 per cent of this recycled. This is expected increase to 52.2 million metric tonnes by 2021.
  • There is approximately 1.3 billion tonnes per year of municipal solid waste (MSW) generated globally, which is expected to double by 2025.
  • Over 50 million tyres are discarded each year in Australia with about 16% recycled domestically.
  • Australia generates 2.2 Million tonnes of plastic waste, only 14 % recycled.
  • Opportunity to process shredder flock with modern cars full of electronics

Through its strategic relationship with UNSW, and its Sustainable Materials Research & Technology centre, Molycop has an opportunity to develop strategies & technologies that will significantly reduce the impact of e-waste as landfill.


RENEWABLE ENERGIES

Molycop is actively working with renewable energy suppliers, utilising solar and wind generated power to minimise our reliance on coal fueled electricity, with the aim to offset 100% of the sites annual electrical consumption with renewable power.

Renewables could supply up to 60% of the real-time load, with the remaining 40% of renewable generation being sold onto the grid.


REDUCING WASTE

Molycop currently recycles 93% of our waste products. With further research and development with partners like UNSW we aim to reduce this even further.


RECYCLING

Some of Molycop’s steel products are manufactured using 100% recyclable steel. Molycop owns two fully integrated steelmaking facilities that manufacturer, process and recycle over 370,000 tonnes of ferrous scrap material per annum.

Molycop partners with our grinding media customers to collect end-of-life grinding media and other ferrous scrap from the mine sites, and backload them to our site at Waratah and Edmonton for recycling.

We also partner with our rail wheel customers to collect end-of-life scrap rail wheels for recycling.